Fair Market Value For Hospitals Acquiring Physicians Practices Or Employing Physicians
In response to pending health reform act programs and the difficult economy, medical practice consolidation continues apace, particularly through hospital purchases of doctor groups.
Maintaining traditional referral relationships between acquired doctors and hospitals, strict compliance with fraud and abuse and Stark law standards is necessary.
The purchase terms must meet fair market value standards.
If a hospital that pays too much for a practice, it could find itself in hot water with federal and state regulators alleging the excess payment constitutes a kickback.
Establishing FMV (Fair Market Value) in an acquisition is more art than science.
Since there is no method to get the government to "sign off" on price terms, hospitals need to be aware of accepted valuation methods and may find it helpful to obtain a third party FMV opinion. However, to ensure that such opinions pass muster, the assumptions and analysis must also be scrutinized.
Take a look at some of what will be discussed:
- What is fair market value and how does Medicare modify the definition?
- Are there accepted benchmarks for valuing physician practices?
- Valuing minority or partial acquisition interests
- Are "comps" worthwhile, and how do you use them?
- Types of third party evaluations and opinions
- Which assumptions may conflict with Stark and fraud and abuse standards?
- Critical back-up documentation that must be compiled.
Who should attend? Hospitals, physicians, practice managers, medical groups, health care consultants and facility executives.
Why use AudioEducator?
- Save money on travel. Our conferences are available from the comfort and convenience of your own office or meeting room.
- Meet your specific training needs. Whether you attend a live event, load up one of our encore broadcasts, or purchase a CD or PDF transcript — you'll get the information you need on your schedule.
- Keep learning after the event. Every conference purchase includes the speaker's materials so you can keep learning long after the conference is over.
- Save time training your whole staff. Gather around a speaker phone or computer and enlighten your entire team for one low price.
- Do you work with a virtual team or multiple locations? Ask our customer specialists about discounts for your whole staff.
Order Below or Call 866-458-2965 Today!